Aruba Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Aruba Forum
the One Happy Bulletin Board!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have put a question to the Aruba bulletin board, you can choose to be notified via email when a reply has been posted. If you want, you can upload a picture of yourself, or any other (decent!) picture you choose from your own computer. If you want to check other Aruba bulletin board member's opinions about a certain question, you can start your own poll. You can also send another member a personal message (PM).
All you need to do is register. As a registered member you can use the features mentioned above and many others. We hope you have fun and hope to see you often on our Aruba Bulletin Board.

Join us on Facebook

Special occasion restaurant needed! A b-day trip, solo...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CelebratingJane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Special occasion restaurant needed! A b-day trip, solo... Reply with quote

I will be in Aruba for a week at the end of January 2013. The trip is to celebrate my birthday- the BIG 3-0! I absolutely cannot wait! Staying on Eagle Beach, will be arriving on Sunday morning and leaving on Friday. My objectives for the trip are (1) a good tan from plenty of relaxation on the beach (not a pool!) and (2) plenty of fabulous food and drink.

I want to go ahead and make dinner reservations for my official birthday celebration on the day of. What restaurants are special occasion worthy? I would like excellent service, artfully prepared gourmet cuisine and an amazing ambiance and am willing to pay the price. Where would you suggest? Chalet Suisse, Madame Janette, Screaming Eagle, Amadeus, Marandi & White are some that have caught my attention so far. I've read some conflicting recent reviews on MJ and Marandi though.

The only catch is... I am coming alone. Well, to me it is not a catch. I love traveling solo! But it does give one different things to consider, especially being a female. Do you all have any pointers that I should know considering I will be by myself?

For dinner on other evenings- All the online reviews have been a tremendous help in learning about the restaurants. The experience of dinner with your feet in the sand (or water!) sounds so cool. It is clearly marketed for those patrons looking for a romantic evening. Would it be totally weird (or do you think I would look extremely out of place) if I went to dine by myself at one of these (Passions on the Beach, Old Man and the Sea, Flying Fishbone, etc.) since so many go there for the romance factor? I would like to try one of these, but it may have to wait until another trip...?

Thanks! I can't wait to hear what y'all (I'm from TN! Wink ) have to say!

~Jane Ann

dutchdushi
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jane Ann, congratulations on your up coming birthday. I'm sure you are going to have a great time.

About dining options. I don't think you will look weird eating alone in any restaurant, being it a romantic toes in the sand one or not. I think you will rather look mysterious....

The restaurants that meet your standards in my opinion are Flying Fishbone and Barefoot. Both toes in the sand and great food. I never been to Old Man and the Sea, so can't give my opinion about this restaurant. I've been to Marandi and Passions and although the atmosphere is kind of romantic (Marandi a bit less in my view) I wasn't thrilled with the quality of the food.

If you go for great food and less ambiance, I would recommend Papillon (at the South Beach shopping center), Pago Pago at the Westin or Screaming Eagle (I have some mixed experiences there, though).

If you want to go all out and also have company, you can try to get into Carte Blanche. But they change to a new spot at Bucuti and I'm not sure if they are open. It will be difficult to get a place there, but you can give it a try.

Personally I'm not too crazy about Madame Jeannet. The food is okay if you love large, not to sophisticated dishes. Especially the meat is good over there. But it is a very large and loud restaurant. And Chalet Suisse in my opinion is more for the elder guests. I know, I might step on ome toes here, but even I find myself very young in this restaurant and I'm way past my 30's. I think both the food and the ambiance are outdated. That can have its charme, but not if you want something special.

Well, just my view. I have to warn you that I am an European and I am aware that our taste is a bit different from the main American taste. So you should consider this. I tend to prefer the more European style of food and atmosphere. I hope you get many advices and you can choose the one that suits you the best. Let us know where you dined and how you liked it!
dutchdushi
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget about White. I liked the food, but the ambiance was less in my opinion. It is in the new mall and has a bit of a lounge style. But Screaming Eagle beats it in this style. As I said I like the food, but not enough for a very special occassion.
~Amy~®

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not worry about eating alone at any of the "romantic" restaurants. As said above, you will look mysterious. Very Happy

I've traveled to Aruba a few times on my own without my husband or gal pals and have had a great time in Aruba doing my own thing.

My favorite "toes in the sand" restaurants are Passions and Old Man & The Sea. If you go to Passions, stop by their beach bar for 2 for 1 drinks from 5pm-6pm and have a nice view of the sunset.

Other places that we like that are on your list: Screaming Eagle, Amadeus, and White. I've eaten at all of these places alone a couple of times here and there over the years.

I just celebrated my birthday in Aruba this past Sept. with my husband and my pick for my birthday dinner was Screaming Eagle - had a great dinner there!

Congrats on your upcoming birthday...hope you have a great time in Aruba! Very Happy

Playa del Carmen, MX - March 2017
34th trip to Aruba - May 2017
Munich, Salzburg, Prague - June/July 2017
35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018
Corrine
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane- I think you would be more comfortable at Barefoot or Nikky Beach. Both are on the water and have great food and younger people and less couples! And they are next door to each other as well.
ArubaDi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best special occasion restaurant I can think of wehre the food is definitely "artfully prepared" is Windows on Aruba at the Divi Village Clubhouse on the top floor. Fantastic sunset views too if you go early enough as the sun is setting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: