Aruba Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Aruba Forum
the One Happy Bulletin Board!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have put a question to the Aruba bulletin board, you can choose to be notified via email when a reply has been posted. If you want, you can upload a picture of yourself, or any other (decent!) picture you choose from your own computer. If you want to check other Aruba bulletin board member's opinions about a certain question, you can start your own poll. You can also send another member a personal message (PM).
All you need to do is register. As a registered member you can use the features mentioned above and many others. We hope you have fun and hope to see you often on our Aruba Bulletin Board.

Join us on Facebook

Some questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cocoa3c

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Some questions Reply with quote

Hi all,
We'll be staying in Malmok and will probably be making use of the bus a lot. Do you know if there is a bus pass for multiple rides? So far, I haven't seen that. You'd think there would be...it's much more convenient.

I heard about Snuba on De Palm island...I always wanted to try that, but it seems very expensive to go over. Is there any way of snubaing without having to do the whole day package?

Besides the IGA, are there other small markets with fruits, and fresh caught fish? I remember some booths when I was there in '95 that had big Caribbean lobsters, but I don't remember if they cooked them for you. Are there any good fish to try that you can recommend? I'm not really up on cleaning them...lol.

Thanks! Very Happy

~Amy~®

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also book SNUBA through DePalm's Palm Pleasure snorkel/SNUBA cruise:

http://www.depalmtours.com/palm-pleasure-snorkel-adventure

I remember the booths downtown with fresh fish and fresh fruit that you're referring to back in the mid-90's. Unfortunately, those booths have been long gone for quite awhile now. Your best bet would be the large grocery stores: Super Food, Ling & Sons, or Kong Hing. They all have good fish/fruit departments.

There is a bus pass for multiple rides but it's really not worth the hassle of going to the bus office to have your photo taken, etc. if you're only staying for a week.

My favorite fish in Aruba is Wahoo and Mahi-Mahi.

Playa del Carmen, MX - March 2017
34th trip to Aruba - May 2017
Munich, Salzburg, Prague - June/July 2017
35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018
~Amy~®

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read that you'll be there for 3 weeks. Not sure where to purchase the Smart Card or the rules but you can email Arubus for more info: info@arubus.com

cocoa3c

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amy, thanks for that. I'll check out DePalm tours.

It's too bad about the fish booths, they gave Aruba a real authentic cultural feel. I probably won't recognize the place.

I sent an email to Arubus, they have an reselling outlets, one at Palm beach plaza near the Holiday Inn. The smart cards sound good, if they let tourists purchase them.

I'll let you know what they say.
Thanks

~Amy~®

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely won't recognize the place that you remember from the mid 90's. I also miss the booths downtown and being able to buy fresh shrimp right off the boat from the fishermen downtown. We've been going to Aruba every year (and then twice a year) since 1996. We've seen alot of changes - some that we like, and some that we do not. But I guess that's progress.

cocoa3c

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anywhere you can still buy fresh fish from the fishermen? That is sad...but, I suppose Aruba is more advanced. We've been going to the Dominican for the last couple of years, and it's still very rustic there. Kind of nice when you think about it. lol

Oh well, I know I'll still love it!

~Amy~®

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a place called Zeerovers in Savaneta (south of the airport) where the fishermen come in (it's also a little lunch spot as well - fried fish and beer) and I've heard of people buying fish at the docks near Moomba's (between the Holiday Inn and the Marriott Surf Club) but I've never tried that myself.

You will see ALOT of development and new hotels in the Palm Beach area. Almost looks like you never left the U.S. LOL! I know when we first started going to Aruba there were no Marriotts - and now there are 3 of them - plus a Ritz-Carlton is being built as well.

cocoa3c

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I hear you...my parents went to the Holiday in for many years. I was there with them in 1995...there were still stretches of empty beach there. I hope I'm not too shocked, but we're staying in Malmok, so it will be different again. Yes, there were fishing boats and I think fishermen selling fish near HI then too.
When I was there I took wind surfing lessons from a guy from Peterborough, Ontario. I thought that was funny. Are there still people from all over working there? There were a lot of Filopinos back then that my mom became friends with.

Oh, remember Scoops ice cream shack? Ok, I better stop remimiscing...lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: