Aruba Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Aruba Forum
the One Happy Bulletin Board!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have put a question to the Aruba bulletin board, you can choose to be notified via email when a reply has been posted. If you want, you can upload a picture of yourself, or any other (decent!) picture you choose from your own computer. If you want to check other Aruba bulletin board member's opinions about a certain question, you can start your own poll. You can also send another member a personal message (PM).
All you need to do is register. As a registered member you can use the features mentioned above and many others. We hope you have fun and hope to see you often on our Aruba Bulletin Board.

Join us on Facebook

The Usual Restaurant Problem....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
~Amy~®

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: The Usual Restaurant Problem.... Reply with quote

I just highlighted 13 restaurants on my list of restuarants that I'd like to go to in a few weeks.....and....I only have 9 nights there. The usual problem. Laughing

Maybe I'll just have to play it by ear. There are so many new places I want to try but...there are some favorites I haven't been to now in a couple of years. WAY too many restaurants on the island now. Shocked

Playa del Carmen, MX - March 2017
34th trip to Aruba - May 2017
Munich, Salzburg, Prague - June/July 2017
35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018
carolrd
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have appetizers at one, and then go to another for dinner. Problem solved. Laughing

Carol Cool
~Amy~®

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carolrd wrote:
Have appetizers at one, and then go to another for dinner. Problem solved. Laughing

Carol Cool

Or maybe just an appetizer at each one (I just can't eat that much anymore - nor should I! Laughing ) I shall try it!

dutchdushi
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or make it a theme trip: only new restaurants, only old ones you didn't visit the last years, only visit restaurants that are on the beach, whatever you like. And hey, what is the problem if you don't get to all of them. After all, you will be back in September!
Corrine
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, decisions, decisions! Very Happy

I would say DaVinci is a must-return for me! Fabulous food!

Glenn
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amy and everybody else,

Where to go for lunch? Where to go for dinner? Italian? Chinese? Argentinian? BBQ? Dutch? What's next; poutine? Shocked

The dining scene is one of the many things that sets Aruba apart from other Caribbean islands. It's varied, lively and there's always somewhere new to go as well as dear old favourites.

Amy, you already know this, but who you are with often determines where you are going eat. There are likely some restaurants in Aruba that you consider special just for you and Mike.

I'm going to really polite here and not ask what restaurants are on your list. I'll just wait and read where you've been. Ok, ok. I'm hoping El Gaucho and Amadeus are among your dining destinations. Very Happy

Bon appetit!

Glenn
JohnT
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy and Mike are very social and welcoming...otherwise we would not have met them a few years ago. They are comfortable in their own likes and dislikes, moving on trying new places, reporting on many great places, letting us know about these places.

I hate to say we're settling into a routine. We'll try a few new places, but look for information on local places provided by people like SanNic44. Otherwise, we would not have tried Zeerover.

We've gone a lot, read a lot, rejected some popular places (by personal taste and experience), open to new experiences.

To each his own. Hope this makes some sense to some people.

~Amy~®

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this trip will be a little different. It was supposed to be the "girls trip" (Mike is going with me in Sept. this year). I booked my flights back in early January because I was using frequent flyer miles (had to book early to use them), and now it looks like none of my friends can make it (mostly having to do with some unexpected house expenses and not wanting to spend extra money on a vacation right now.)

Soooooo.....looks like it will probably be a solo trip for me. I did one of these once before in 2008. It wasn't bad - days were easy with plenty to see/do or a nice book and Bright kept me relaxed on the beach. Cool But dinners out were definitely challenging. LOL!! I have friends on the island so spent a few dinners with friends but...also spent a few alone, too, so had to be a little more choosy as far as where I went - I like to sit at the bar when I dine alone so tried to find places where I could eat at the bar and chat with the bartender.

Glenn - I will definitely be going to Amadeus (always feel comfortable there) but will probably skip El Gaucho on this trip and save that one for Sept. when Mike is with me. Wink Hope to try a few new places, too, like Barney's, Mirpas, White Modern Cuisine, and the Aruban Chef - and maybe 2 Fools and a Bull.

John - thank you for the nice comments. Very Happy

Glenn
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amy,

Great list of dining places.

That restaurant on your "go to" list, White Modern Cuisine; is that the one with the same concept as Carte Blanche near The Mill? The chef makes whatever he feels like making, then each course is paired with a wine, a beer or a cocktail. Is that what WMC is?

If you like it, we might try it on our next trip.

And Mirpas; Is that new?

Yes, dining alone while on vacation can be challenging, especially for a woman. Last month my sister was in Hawaii for 2 weeks on her own. This was her 55th birthday present to herself. As you suggested, there was plenty for her to do during the day, but dinners were challenging. In Maui she felt more comfotable just eating at the bar in her condo complex.

Glenn
~Amy~®

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
That restaurant on your "go to" list, White Modern Cuisine; is that the one with the same concept as Carte Blanche near The Mill? The chef makes whatever he feels like making, then each course is paired with a wine, a beer or a cocktail. Is that what WMC is?
If you like it, we might try it on our next trip.

And Mirpas; Is that new?

Hi Glenn,

The restaurant similar to Carte Blanche is 2 Fools and a Bull. White Modern Cuisine is a new, upscale restaurant located in the newest mall behind the Paseo Herencia Mall.

Mirpas opened around last May. Mike and I tried to go there several times last May but their opening days/hours were hit or miss at that time and every time we stopped by it was a miss for us. LOL!! Never had time to check it out last Sept sooooo...hope to get there on this trip. Smile

Glenn
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amy,

Whether it's 2 Fools and a Bull, White Modern Cuisine, Mirpas or anywhere else, I look forward to reading about your experiences at all of them.

Don't forget the goulash soup at Amadeus.

Glenn
~Amy~®

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhhh....goulash soup at Amadeus - that is one of my all-time favorites!!!! Very Happy

ls721

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~Amy~® wrote:
Well, this trip will be a little different. It was supposed to be the "girls trip" (Mike is going with me in Sept. this year). I booked my flights back in early January because I was using frequent flyer miles (had to book early to use them), and now it looks like none of my friends can make it (mostly having to do with some unexpected house expenses and not wanting to spend extra money on a vacation right now.)

Soooooo.....looks like it will probably be a solo trip for me. I did one of these once before in 2008. It wasn't bad - days were easy with plenty to see/do or a nice book and Bright kept me relaxed on the beach. Cool But dinners out were definitely challenging. LOL!! I have friends on the island so spent a few dinners with friends but...also spent a few alone, too, so had to be a little more choosy as far as where I went - I like to sit at the bar when I dine alone so tried to find places where I could eat at the bar and chat with the bartender.

Glenn - I will definitely be going to Amadeus (always feel comfortable there) but will probably skip El Gaucho on this trip and save that one for Sept. when Mike is with me. Wink Hope to try a few new places, too, like Barney's, Mirpas, White Modern Cuisine, and the Aruban Chef - and maybe 2 Fools and a Bull.

John - thank you for the nice comments. Very Happy

Hi Amy:

Last June I went solo and I agree it is a challenge dining in the evening. Most times I took my dinner back to the place I was staying (had a great ocean view) or ate at the bar.

I did email you last year asking for your feelings/suggestions, since I knew you went solo before.

Why is it in this day and age we feel this way, but observe men all the time dining alone and they seem to feel comfortable and do not give it a second thought Confused
~Amy~®

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ls721 wrote:
Hi Amy:

Last June I went solo and I agree it is a challenge dining in the evening. Most times I took my dinner back to the place I was staying (had a great ocean view) or ate at the bar.

I did email you last year asking for your feelings/suggestions, since I knew you went solo before.

Why is it in this day and age we feel this way, but observe men all the time dining alone and they seem to feel comfortable and do not give it a second thought Confused

That is interesting. Even when I'm on a work trip alone, I always have to stop and think about dinner and where I'd feel most comfortable.

Well, so far, I have reservations for 2 Fools and a Bull - going solo - me and 15 other diners. Laughing

Think I will probably either try Barney's the first night or if I'm really tired and don't want to venture too far, I'll probably go to Mango's since I'm interested in trying their new dinner menu. Then if I get a second wind, maybe I'll head to Barney's for a nightcap and check out their new space.

That's all I've got figured out so far. Wink

dutchdushi
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to dine alone a lot in the past when I was on business trips (happened weekly). I just went to a restaurant and did bring a book with me. But dining alone is always a little difficult. So I hope you will find some people to dine with or places where dining alone is not too bad.

And Amy, I'm thinking of eating at Mango's the day we arrive. We are so jetlagged that we don't want too much hassle. So I'm curious how you think about the new menu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: