Aruba Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Aruba Forum
the One Happy Bulletin Board!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have put a question to the Aruba bulletin board, you can choose to be notified via email when a reply has been posted. If you want, you can upload a picture of yourself, or any other (decent!) picture you choose from your own computer. If you want to check other Aruba bulletin board member's opinions about a certain question, you can start your own poll. You can also send another member a personal message (PM).
All you need to do is register. As a registered member you can use the features mentioned above and many others. We hope you have fun and hope to see you often on our Aruba Bulletin Board.

Join us on Facebook

13 yr old wants to fish

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: 13 yr old wants to fish Reply with quote

I have a question. We are going to the Tam Nov 12 till Nov 17. My friend & I are taking her 13 & 14 yr old grandsons. We were surprised when they asked if they could take their fishing poles with them. We laughed, but then wondered. They have poles that will "fold up". I quess they could try, but is it legal to try to fish from the beach? We are from the midwest & they do a lot of fishing from little lakes & ponds from the banks. Thanks, Marilyn
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they can fish from the beach.
Corrine
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also small boats that leave from the Marina downtown. But just as a warning - they do go out to sea and if you get seasick, it will not be fun!
arubaariba

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom fishing may also be a thought. We went in May with Olympic Tours (586-5026 or 965-9315). The boat is named the Don Lukas and is at the Seaport Marina. They have a big sign on the side "BOTTOM FISHING"

They leave at 8:00am sharp! and return around noonish.

There were 8 of us at that time (close to the maximum that they will take..maybe 12?)- not cramped at all. The boat is setup like a sightseeing boat with 2 levels - lower is for fishing The fishing poles are around the entire perimeter - and they have a top deck for sunbathing/relaxing, etc.

You'll catch grouper, and other fish - no king-size fighters like deep sea fishing though. They'll cook up the catch and other stuff and prepare a lunch on the boat for you.

The boat only goes out 1-2 miles (was in-line with the highrises/lighthouse), fishing in maybe 70' deep water - it's cool though!! The capt. and crew will find the fish. Not that expensive either (I can't remember price though). And we all caught fish!! I'm going to do it again next week.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. The Olympic Tours looks very interesting. I think we will check it out. I hadn't even thought about a boat. I know most places have deep sea fishing & we were not interested in that at all. I told the boys that if we take some bread from the buffet that we could feed the fish & they are taking their snorkeling equipment. At least they should be able to see lots of pretty fish. It will be fun if they try to fish from the beach. This will be their first trip out of the US. Thanks again, Marilyn
STEELGUY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen people fishing many times from the shore at the Tam, seems like best luck is early morning before 9 a.m.
dtw1975

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a 6 year old who's never fished but is desperate to give it a try.

He's only really interested in hand line fishing so we're going to take a couple of lines with us and give it a go.

To be honest I'm not too confident we'll catch anything, but I don't think that will really be a problem as he so excited at the prospect of being in the sea with all the sealife actually catching anything is going to be a nice bonus.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a lot of locals and visitors shore fishing just north of the Divi Tree / Amsterdam Manor. The shore is rocky so you will need shoes.

You are about 4 feet above the waters edge.
johntheott
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Tam, I've seen the locals fishing off the beached large float in front of Divi Winds which is next to Bld. 1100 on Druif Beach. There are fish out there, the pelicans are not diving for pennies!! Needless to say, they shouldn't fish where people are or would be swimming. Nothing like stepping on a lost hook or lure to make your day!!

Anywhere there's rocks you'll find fish. I have no idea what the locals use for bait, but anything edible which will stay on the hook should work. No big fish, you have to get off shore for them, but they may be able to have a little fun!!

"A Free Spirit On An Endless Flight"

CHARLES-BROUNS Jr.
dtw1975

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these last couple of post are great, just the info I was after

many thanks all
St Paul Ray

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bait to use is Squid. You can find it at any of the grocery stores. If you fish from shore with your own equipment be sure to use a steel leader! All the fish have teeth and any bait other than Squid will be gone before you know it!
My wife and I love the bottom fishing and are looking forward to some great fishing during our trip. 10/17-10/27. Good luck!
Ray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: