Aruba Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Aruba Forum
the One Happy Bulletin Board!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have put a question to the Aruba bulletin board, you can choose to be notified via email when a reply has been posted. If you want, you can upload a picture of yourself, or any other (decent!) picture you choose from your own computer. If you want to check other Aruba bulletin board member's opinions about a certain question, you can start your own poll. You can also send another member a personal message (PM).
All you need to do is register. As a registered member you can use the features mentioned above and many others. We hope you have fun and hope to see you often on our Aruba Bulletin Board.

Join us on Facebook

Germany

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sasha
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Germany Reply with quote

After being in Aruba on vacation from November 22-30, I will be home a week and then I will be going to Germany from December 6-19 for work. I am excited because I have never been to Europe before. I know several of you here have so I had a question about my electronic items and plugging them in over there. I know I have to buy some sort of converter but I am confused as to what to buy. I'll need one for my computer, phone/tablet chargers and also my flat iron. If any of you have any recommendations I would appreciate it!
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sasha, I checked on Amazon and saw this one which allows you to use more than one outlet at a time. It also has a surge protector. I have used Belkin products in the past and have been very satisfied.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-3-Outlet-Charger-Protector-Charging/dp/B0015DYMVO/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1414973361&sr=1-12&keywords=electric+plug+converters

Amazon has tons to choose from, so I can see where it would be confusing. I know Amy will be able to help out.

Carol Cool
~Amy~®

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sasha -

There are two different types - converters and adapters. One deals with the voltage and one deals with the plug.

Alot of appliances now have dual voltage so check to see if they say 110-220 on them. Our Netbook, my blowdryer, and my battery charger all have dual voltage so the only thing I need for those are a plug adapter so they fit into the outlet.

If you don't have dual voltage then you need both a converter and an adapter. Also make sure you buy the adapter needed for Germany (each country has different adapters.)

Here is a good article by Rick Steves (my guru for Europe travel) explaning both. And it's always a good idea to have several adapters for each appliance.

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/phones-tech/electric-adapters-converters

I buy alot of my travel stuff from this site:

http://www.travelsmith.com/travel-accessories/electronics-adapters-appliances/adapters-converters/#w=*&af=cat3:travelaccessories_electronicsadapters_adaptersconverters cat2:travelaccessories_electronicsadapters cat1:travelaccessories pagetype:products

Playa del Carmen, MX - March 2017
34th trip to Aruba - May 2017
Munich, Salzburg, Prague - June/July 2017
35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018
Sasha
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ladies.

I found this one...

http://istoreworld.com/us/world-travel-adapter

There are just so many out there...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like it should work! Very Happy

Corrine
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of adapters is a good idea! If you use your own hair dryer or straightener, they carry a lot of volts and can blow out the adapter. If you use a straightener or curling iron, use it quickly and shut it off! I have also had those items blow out over there by keeping them on for too long!
johntheott
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful here! We are talking about two different things: adaptors which do nothing for the voltage and only permit plugging the appliance in, and converters which will change the input to the appropriate voltage.

Some devices will work on either voltage and are marked so. Some like battery or laptop chargers switch automatically and others have a sliding switch to be set to the correct voltage.

It is never a good idea to use a 110v appliance on 220v, the simple reason is you are overloading the device with too much current. High current devices like curling irons or hair dryers are particularly susceptible to burning out or catching fire!! I would suggest buying and using a butane heated curling iron which, for some strange reason is OK in carry on luggage, and using a hotel hair dryer.

As far as voltage converters are concerned, most practical ones would be too low rated to handle a high current device like an iron or dryer. For safety reasons. a good rule of thumb is to use a converter twice the amperage of the device you are planning to use.

Good luck, I hope this helps!

"A Free Spirit On An Endless Flight"

CHARLES-BROUNS Jr.
Corrine
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct John! Converters and adapters are two different things. I forgot which one burned out. Ah, women and their hair! Rolling Eyes
~Amy~®

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I solved that problem by buying a blowdryer with the dual voltage so the only thing it needs is just an adapter. Actually, I think everything we travel with now has dual volatage so we no longer need to bring a converter along, only adapters.

Corrine
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hair dryer was made in Italy so it may be too. Is there a label or is it imprinted somewhere?
johntheott
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's UL (Underwriter Lab) certified, it will have rated voltage and current draw on it somewhere. My guess is that it's only good for 110 volts. You have to shop specialty stores to find dual voltage devices.

"A Free Spirit On An Endless Flight"

CHARLES-BROUNS Jr.
Corrine
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you John!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> Just Fun!!! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: