Aruba Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Aruba Forum
the One Happy Bulletin Board!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have put a question to the Aruba bulletin board, you can choose to be notified via email when a reply has been posted. If you want, you can upload a picture of yourself, or any other (decent!) picture you choose from your own computer. If you want to check other Aruba bulletin board member's opinions about a certain question, you can start your own poll. You can also send another member a personal message (PM).
All you need to do is register. As a registered member you can use the features mentioned above and many others. We hope you have fun and hope to see you often on our Aruba Bulletin Board.

Join us on Facebook

Calling back to the States?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Calling back to the States? Reply with quote

My parents are getting ready to use our week at La Cabana next week.
It just so happens, my wife is getting ready to give birth to our first (and their first grandchild).

They'd like to keep in touch somewhat while on the island (funny, when we're down there, we like to fall out of touch).

What is the best way for them to make calls from the island back to the United States?

And by best, I mean "cheapest".

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
carolrd
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest way is to buy a calling card. You can purchase them almost anywhere. I have used the Ventaha card, they come in $5 and $10 values. I believe the $5 is just shy of 30 minutes and the $10 about 60 minutes. They will be able to use them in their room and at public telephones.

Congrats on your new addition!!

Carol Cool
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Buy the calling card on the island? Is that what you mean?
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading around this site...is it true that if they have a GSM phone (cingular/att wireless) that they can simply dial like they are in the US? They'll just be charged a higher rate?
carolrd
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you buy it on the island. Most of the convenience stores at the resorts carry them.

I don't know much about ATT or GSM, but I do know it will be very expensive.

Carol Cool
CGO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, just wanted to pipe in, I am not the most technically inclined but I can tell you this: We used my husband's iphone (not with ATT but he is with Tmobile on an unlocked iphone..if that means anything...as he wanted an iphone but not ATT) Anyway, we made phone calls with no problem from his phone as it is GSM equipped, I believe, I think we did have to dial the 011 or 001, I can never remember, but the calls were around $2 a minute my husband thinks. Our friends used their cell phone as well, GSM I think, and had no problems either. He had to call in for a 2 hour teleconference for work but they paid his cell bill so he was not worried, worked no problem. Also, we got a free Aruban cell phone from our car rental agency (royal) and we bought a cell card that you just prepay minutes for the cell phone and used that to do our regular check ins with the kids. I think we paid $30 for 100 minutes, not sure but that is what I recall. Funny, the phone already had leftover minutes on it and we barely used "our" minutes at all. Then we just turned the cell back in with the car, so the next person will have a bunch of free minutes too. We were there with another couple, we both have 2 small children and grandparents kept them at home, so it gave use each at least 10 minutes a day to check in and we could use the iphone/the other cell for any emergencies or if we left the Aruba cell at the room. It is so easy traveling to Aruba that it spoils you for other places. Let me know if you have any more ?? and I can ask my husband specifics on the phone.
Thanks, Carolina in ATL

Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy the Setar phone card. The store is across the street from the Occidental. You can buy several different denominations. You have to use Setar phones. There are phones in front of the store and I know they have a phone at the Hyatt, Playa Linda and the Mill. It was very reasonable and very easy to use.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am calling from Aruba (by calling card) to a person in the States with a Verizon cell phone (no land line), does anyone know how costly this can be for the recipient (my friend in the States)?

Thanks!
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Calling the U.S. Reply with quote

The first time I used my cell during a visit to Aruba, resulted in a $2,100.00 roaming charge (for just 2 weeks)! Since then, I have used Skype, and haven't had to pay more than $20.00 for a whole month of calls to U.S. landlines. Check it out, is all that I'm saying!
~Amy~®

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StacyJ wrote:
If I am calling from Aruba (by calling card) to a person in the States with a Verizon cell phone (no land line), does anyone know how costly this can be for the recipient (my friend in the States)?

Thanks!

It shouldn't cost your friend in the U.S. anything.

I use my cell phone (T-Moible) in Aruba and if I call the U.S., I pay $1.49/minute and the person I'm calling pays zero.

SailorLady52 wrote:
The first time I used my cell during a visit to Aruba, resulted in a $2,100.00 roaming charge (for just 2 weeks)! Since then, I have used Skype, and haven't had to pay more than $20.00 for a whole month of calls to U.S. landlines. Check it out, is all that I'm saying!

Did you have an iPhone or SmartPhone? If you don't turn off the data roaming when you're out of the country it can be very costly. I have a SmartPhone through T-Mobile and use it in Aruba for $1.49/minute (I keep my calls to a minimum) but I make sure to turn off the data roaming once I arrive in Aruba.

Playa del Carmen, MX - March 2017
34th trip to Aruba - May 2017
Munich, Salzburg, Prague - June/July 2017
35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: The big phone bill Reply with quote

No, I didn't have a smart phone, just a regular Verizon LG phone. Thing is, I made sure that Verizon knew I was going to Aruba...they worked out a 26-cent/min rate for me...but, alas, there was some VERY FINE print on this accomodation. The special rate was only valid on Saturday after 8pm to Sunday before 6am. The rest of the week was at $1.77 minute after 8pm, and $2.05 minute during normal daylight hours. Skype is 17-cents/minute to any landline in the U.S., and FREE to any other Skype user, regardless if they're across the room, or on the moon!
~Amy~®

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what I just realized? These are posts from 2008 so I'm guessing the person is no longer looking for an answer to their question. Very Happy

Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Phone Issues Reply with quote

OMG!! You're right! Sorry, I got caught up in the issue! Rolling Eyes
~Amy~®

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. It's still good information for people to read. Very Happy

American Car Rental

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would need a cellphone or you can use you phone in the room to make a call to a local number using the Ventaja calling card. This card you can get in the grocery stores (also in the minimarkets across the high rise).

However I would advise for the people with a laptop, get the internet access in your hotel, buy in the states the Magic Jack for $30,- something dollars and call to the states (land line/cellphone) for free for 1 year. I've been using the magic Jack for the last year and now just two weeks ago I renewed my contract for $60 for 5 years unlimited calling.

To tell you the truth, that's the best way and cheapest way, better than calling cards, skype etc.... etc....

Congrats with the new upcomming family member.

Akash
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: