Aruba Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Aruba Forum
the One Happy Bulletin Board!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have put a question to the Aruba bulletin board, you can choose to be notified via email when a reply has been posted. If you want, you can upload a picture of yourself, or any other (decent!) picture you choose from your own computer. If you want to check other Aruba bulletin board member's opinions about a certain question, you can start your own poll. You can also send another member a personal message (PM).
All you need to do is register. As a registered member you can use the features mentioned above and many others. We hope you have fun and hope to see you often on our Aruba Bulletin Board.

Join us on Facebook

Help me plot our day trip
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CruisinSusan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Help me plot our day trip Reply with quote

We'll be in Aruba next month (staying at Occidental Grand) and plan to rent a car one day to explore the island. I bought the map and I've gotten a general idea of the location of most things but I'm not sure the best way to get from here to there. Please help! Smile

Here is what I have so far:
1. Casabari Rock Formations
2. Donkey Sanctuary
3. Something on the "wild side". At first I was thinking Boca Prins but that might be out of the way. Would it be better to go to the Bushiribana Gold Mill Ruins and then down to the baby natural bridge instead? Will a regular car get us there?
4. California Lighthouse

Alternatively, we could go to the lighthouse first. Would the light be better for lighthouse photos in the morning or afternoon?

Any advise on driving directions? Any recommendations for a lunch stop near the Donkey Sanctuary?

TIA!
~Amy~®

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ayo Rock Formations are also near the Donkey Sanctuary (you'll drive right by them) so you could add those to your list, too.

You can definitely get to all of those places with a regular car. Only places you would need a 4WD vehicle would be the Natural Pool and certain areas of Arikok Park.

I'm trying to think of what the lighting is like at the lighthouse in the morning and the afternoon. Seems like we always go there in the morning when we're doing an "out and about" trip around the island. Not sure why we like to start there first...just a habit I guess. Laughing

Playa del Carmen, MX - March 2017
34th trip to Aruba - May 2017
Munich, Salzburg, Prague - June/July 2017
35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018
CruisinSusan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Amy!

Now I'm thinking it would be better to start with the lighthouse. We may stop by Arashi or Boca Catalina too, while we're in the neighborhood.

What road would I take from the lighthouse to the gold mill ruins? (Google Maps wasn't helpful.)

Should we do both Casabari and Ayo? Is one more interesting than the other?

Any suggestions for a place to stop for lunch?
Lenny
Aruba Lover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider putting The Chapel on your list.
CruisinSusan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do, Lenny. Is it on the way to the gold mill ruins?

Still looking for lunch advice. Smile
carolrd
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are downtown, try Cuba's Cookin. http://cubascookin.com/

Great Cuban sandwich!

Carol Cool
~Amy~®

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're going to try a new place for lunch in a few weeks called Don Pinchos - mainly grilled kebabs. It's located in Santa Cruz so hopefully it'll be a good place to go while we're out driving around.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Don-Pincho-Aruba/487947531296414

Otherwise, the usual lunch places we go to that are not located in the beach area or downtown are B55, Charlie's Bar, or Boca Prins Bar & Grill but not sure if you would be near any of those.

We do like Cuba's Cookin' downtown for lunch, too. Also Bingo's has a great lunch (they're located not too far from the high rise hotel area.)

If you like BBQ, there is Casabari Cafe which is located near the Casabari Rock Formations.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g2526330-d5812647-Reviews-Casibari_Cafe-Paradera_Aruba.html#REVIEWS

Playa del Carmen, MX - March 2017
34th trip to Aruba - May 2017
Munich, Salzburg, Prague - June/July 2017
35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018
CruisinSusan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how you like Don Pinchos. It doesn't look like it would be too far out of the way. The Casabari Cafe would work too since we're already planning a stop there.

We're going to go downtown too but probably on a different day.
Corrine
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought - We have both driven ourselves around the North Shore and have done the ABC Jeep Tour. I have to say the jeep tour was more fun - someone else doing the driving, meeting other people and just laughing!
CruisinSusan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Corrine. I did look into the jeep tours because that seemed a lot easier than trying to figure out how to get everywhere. But they don't seem to go where I want to go.
Lenny
Aruba Lover

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CruisinSusan wrote:
Will do, Lenny. Is it on the way to the gold mill ruins?

Still looking for lunch advice. Smile

Its closer to Philip's Animal Garden.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Alto+Vista+Chapel/@12.562949,-70.0153274,14z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x6a78b6a2ea84a826?hl=en

CruisinSusan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Lenny.

I think I have it plotted out now on Google maps.
First we'll go to the lighthouse
Then down to the Casibari Rock Formations
Then the Donkey Sanctuary
Then I think I can get from the Donkey Sanctuary to the gold mill ruins going by the Ayo rock formations and the ostrich farm but I'm not positive because Google maps takes a much longer route.
From the gold mill ruins, I think we can drive along the coast up to the Alto Vista Chapel.

Does anyone see any issues with that route? Are there landmarks I should look for to find any of those places? I've read that the road signs aren't very helpful. Smile
dutchdushi
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say the jeep tours don't take you where you want? But a jeep trip takes you to the light house, Alto Vista Chapel, ostric farm, Gold Ruins, natural bridge, Natural pool, Arikok and Baby Beach. That are most of the places you mention.
CruisinSusan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should have said the jeep tour takes you to MORE places than I want. I didn't want such a long tour and wasn't interested in the natural pool (the ride sounds scary) or snorkeling (since we'll be snorkeling on another day).

Oh well, it'll be an adventure figuring it out for ourselves. Smile Looking forward to exploring the island.
CruisinSusan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question. It looks like we'll need to take some carrots for the donkeys at the sanctuary. Is there a little grocery store in the Palm Beach area where we pick some up?

Thanks again for everyone's input!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: