Aruba Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Aruba Forum
the One Happy Bulletin Board!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have put a question to the Aruba bulletin board, you can choose to be notified via email when a reply has been posted. If you want, you can upload a picture of yourself, or any other (decent!) picture you choose from your own computer. If you want to check other Aruba bulletin board member's opinions about a certain question, you can start your own poll. You can also send another member a personal message (PM).
All you need to do is register. As a registered member you can use the features mentioned above and many others. We hope you have fun and hope to see you often on our Aruba Bulletin Board.

Join us on Facebook

Yes officer, I have it right here. Yes, here it is.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Yes officer, I have it right here. Yes, here it is. Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I saw a news item today whereby the state of Florida, will or may require non-U.S. residents to have an International Driving Permit.

My question is; what are Aruba's actual legal requirements for driving for non-residents? Car rental companies there have always accepted my Province of Manitoba Driver's Licence, but if you were ever in an accident or stopped by the police for any reason, would that be sufficient?

Other Caribbean destinations like The Cayman Islands require the IDP.

The Florida announcement just got me to wondering.

I suppose I should search the appropriate Aruba authorities.

Glenn
JohnT
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, Glenn.
Probably only the law-abiding will comply in Florida.
In our 10 years here, there have been numerous reports that driving without a license, driving with license suspended or revoked etc. is a big problem in FL...maybe more so in the largest urban centers.
I haven't thought about an IDL in many years. Bought one for Europe travel...then I decided to not rent a car.
I've been happy that Aruba only requires a valid US license...and I hope it continues that way.
BTW, I had to show my license for the first time in November after a county policeman said I went through a yellow light in school zone when I should have stopped. During the middle of the day, that school zone is 45 mph. I didn't really argue, but said something like stopping was questionable on a short yellow going the legal 45 mph. Anyway, he checked the license and insurance...gave me a warning. Still no moving violations after more than 40 years of driving. Fine would have been something like $258. Yuk!

JohnT
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postscript:

This morning's local paper said that the Florida Highway Patrol has decided to declare a hold/moratorium on enforcement of a requirement for an IDL. The redneck legislature will be asked to exempt English-speaking nations that have license information in English (primarily Canada, England, Australia). The article said the CAA/AAA offices were jammed with people wanting an IDL.

Let's hope the good old boys in Tallahassee agree to revise. And maybe they will consider the reasonable ban on cellphone and texting while driving.

In our area, we have many 4-lane and 6-lane streets within the city limits. Impatient drivers who think that are competing on the Daytona International Speedway. Speed limit is usually 50 in these wider streets...which means that speed is actually 65 or higher. Enforcement is now resting with red-light traffic cameras in only selected locations. Better traffic flow as compared to old cities, but dangerous everyday driving.

Glenn
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Thank you for the the info. Our local CAA was jam-packed with people applying for the IDL.

What we have heard is that in spite of the moratorium, it's better to get the IDL anyway. While the Florida State Patrol will likely respect the moratorium, there are hundreds of individual police jurisdictions one drives through and not all of them may be as aware of it.

This is though, the Aruba bb and as I've said,I hope to definitively find out what I need for there. The provincial driver's licence I have has always been accepted by the car rental companies in Aruba, but the Florida situation got me to wondering what the case would be if you were in an accident or were stopped by the police.

Thanks again John for the info.

Glenn
JohnT
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Glenn, I have lived through the time when almost everyone said to be careful to exactly obey any signs and limits in the Carolinas and Georgia...especially since we had a license plate that said New York. Speed traps, etc. Damn Yankees! 10 years in FL with Florida licenses and plates but we're still probably suspect across the south. Maybe we even needed an IDL in those previous days.
We used to cross into Canada almost every year when we lived in upstate NY...4 hours from Montreal, about 6 hours from Toronto. I think I remember a time when extra insurance information was needed to cross without question.
Yet I never thought about getting an IDL for Aruba...after reading good information about Aruba on all these various bulletin boards. Maybe Aruba will move toward the popular view to provide more identification...as a check and double-check.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: