Aruba Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Aruba Forum
the One Happy Bulletin Board!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have put a question to the Aruba bulletin board, you can choose to be notified via email when a reply has been posted. If you want, you can upload a picture of yourself, or any other (decent!) picture you choose from your own computer. If you want to check other Aruba bulletin board member's opinions about a certain question, you can start your own poll. You can also send another member a personal message (PM).
All you need to do is register. As a registered member you can use the features mentioned above and many others. We hope you have fun and hope to see you often on our Aruba Bulletin Board.

Join us on Facebook

Hi! Going Back after 18 Years, Yayyy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> I'll be in Aruba...Anybody else?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cocoa3c

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Hi! Going Back after 18 Years, Yayyy! Reply with quote

Hello Forum!

I'm finally coming back to my beautiful island after 18 years of waiting. I first went in '95 and absolutely loved it. After that, I drove my new husband nuts about how great it was and talking about it all the time. I even had dreams about being back, and I would always cry when I had to go home...lol.
I always looked into returning, but couldn't afford the major hotel route like my parents had done for a few years there. This year, I found the Sunset Studio apartments and reasonably priced flights. so I FINALLY am bringing hubby. I hope he enjoys it as much as I did. We get to be there for three weeks, Feb 19 to March 12. I hope to check out all the things I didn't do the first time there, but snorkelling and birdwatching are big on the list. Smile

So, just wanted to say HI!

Oh, Amy, I'm just north of you in Thunder Bay!

Glenn
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Arlette,

Well my fellow Canadian, it's great to see you're heading back to Aruba in a couple of weeks.

We're in Winnipeg. Just get on the Trans-Canada Highway, point the car west and eventually you'll hit us.

What I really want to know when you get back is what you think of Aruba Sunset Beach Studios. We are booked there for the 3rd week of October. The prices are pretty good, it's small (which we like) and it looks very comfortable.

If you look on the "I'll be in Aruba..." category, you'll see my thread. I think it's just below yours.

By the way, we couldn't believe it but the best airfare for us this year was with Air Canada, routing us Winnipeg - Toronto - Aruba and return. For years we've using a combination of United and American through Chicago and Miami because AC 's fare were just way too high, but not this year.
What is your air routing, if I may ask.

Just by way of background Arlette, I'm a 60 y.o. accountant here in Winnipeg. My wife retired about 10 years ago after working with Manitoba Hydro for over 30 years. We split our travel time between Maui in May and Aruba in either January or October.

Have a wonderful trip.

Glenn
Winnipeg, Manitoba
cocoa3c

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenn,
I've been in the Peg a few times. I like it there. My husband's neice lives there. We're due for a visit.

I'll let you know about Sunset Studios...they do have great ratings on Trip Advisor...almost too good. That always makes me nervous too...lol. Which unit did you book? We have number 6, it's small, but it seems people rebook their units quite far in advance. I think I was fortunate to get one.

It seems the trend is going to time shares and rental properties now...Aruba really isn't the best place for all inclusive, there's to many places to go, and restaurants to eat. While I like not having to cook, it's much cheaper if I do. The grocery prices look fairly comparable to here in Canada for many things.

We're flying West Jet out of Thunder Bay via Toronto. I got two tickets for 1400$ which I thought was very good. I booked them in early November.

K, nice to meet cha!

redline

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Missed just one year, coming back in March Reply with quote

Arlette, I am so glad you are finally able to come back! My wife and I had been going to Aruba for 17 straight years and had to miss a year last year - strangely, almost a picture negative of what you've gone through. But we are returning this year. Maybe we will run into each other - we will be there from March 2nd to March 16th.

Looking forward to beach tennis, volleyball, diving & snorkling

A different Glenn - from Wisconsin
cocoa3c

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenn, You're not too far from us in T Bay either. Where are you and your wife staying? Do you have a favourite place or do you try different ones? I'm really looking forward to snorkelling and birdwatching.

Yes, it would be cool to bump into you! Small island, one never knows. My hubs will be wearing his Tilley hat. Smile Have a great time!

Glenn
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Arlette,

Sorry that it's taken a month to answer this but what caught my eye in your last post here was that your husband wears a Tilley hat. Me too!

I always wear mine with the right side flipped up and fastened. It's one of the best vacation related purchases I've ever made. I've had it for about 20 years. I'm pretty hard to miss in Aruba and Maui.

We are heading to Maui for 4 weeks in May, then of course Aruba in October.

Have a great summer.

Glenn
cocoa3c

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Glenn, There should be a Facebook group just for Tilley hat wearers Very Happy.

Maui huh? I've been looking into Hawaii too. Do you have a place there?

We're going to Australia in November, so the Tilley hat will come in handy. I have a ladies 'non' Tilley hat, but something similar.

Ok, have a great time in Maui!

Corrine
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, please for this Brooklyn-born girl- what on earth is a Tilley hat??
cocoa3c

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Corinne, Ok, here's a link to show you. This page shows the basic men's style, but I see they have many now. http://www.tilley.com/Hats-Men.aspx The nice thing about them is you can crush them and their shape will pop back, you can soak them and they keep your head cool, and of course they keep the sun off. They have ladies ones too!

AND Happy ARUBA FLAG DAY!! Smile

Glenn
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Arlette and Corinne,

Not only does my Tilley hat keep me cool in tropical places, it also makes me look cool.

Sitting on the stone bench outside Little Switzerland in Oranjestad, or leaning up against the sea wall on Front Street in Lahaina, Maui; T-shirt, shorts, sunglasses and Tilley hat with the right side flipped up; I'm just lookin' so, you know , cool. (Donna thinks I just look vacant!)

Laughing

Have a super weekend, both of you.

Glenn
Corrine
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Arlette!

My husband actually won one in the fall at a golf outing! He plans to bring it to Aruba. I like that one side up look.
!

Glen, after all, you men need to be stylish too!

cocoa3c

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Glenn Laughing

Looking cool is a good reason too. My hubs is just the practical sort. I don't know if he thinks of cool.

Good win Corinne! Nice to win stuff!

carolrd
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know how to find you Glenn, just look for the Tiley hat!!!

Carol Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> I'll be in Aruba...Anybody else? All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: