Aruba Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Aruba Forum
the One Happy Bulletin Board!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have put a question to the Aruba bulletin board, you can choose to be notified via email when a reply has been posted. If you want, you can upload a picture of yourself, or any other (decent!) picture you choose from your own computer. If you want to check other Aruba bulletin board member's opinions about a certain question, you can start your own poll. You can also send another member a personal message (PM).
All you need to do is register. As a registered member you can use the features mentioned above and many others. We hope you have fun and hope to see you often on our Aruba Bulletin Board.

Join us on Facebook

Price of honey

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yaofeng
Aruba Lover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Price of honey Reply with quote

Over the years I brought home cheeses, coffee and stroopwafel coming to Aruba. That's about it. We know the cost of living in Aruba is not low. Recently I found one more thing worth bringing home. It's honey from the Dominican Republic. If nothing else it is really cheap. At AFL$3.6 for a 24 oz bottle, that is only $1.37 a pound. The only downside is I usually travel to Aruba without checked in luggage. Going home I have to check it in and wait 20 to 30 more minutes to pick up the bag at Newark.
JohnT
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honey sounds good!
Want to please people with another sweet treat?
Buy some packages of "amandel speculaas" at Super Food. Jumbo brand.
They are excellent gingerbread-type cookies with micro-thin sliced almonds on them.
My "co-workers" at my volunteer "job" gobbled them up yesterday.

~Amy~®

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnT wrote:
Buy some packages of "amandel speculaas" at Super Food. Jumbo brand.
They are excellent gingerbread-type cookies with micro-thin sliced almonds on them.
My "co-workers" at my volunteer "job" gobbled them up yesterday.

I love those! Bought some for my mom one year for Christmas, too, and she loved them as well!

Playa del Carmen, MX - March 2017
34th trip to Aruba - May 2017
Munich, Salzburg, Prague - June/July 2017
35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018
dutchdushi
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a special candy we eat for Sinterklaas (the one we celebrate on 5 December). Love it!
yaofeng
Aruba Lover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kept a steady supply of stroopwafel, gouda, edam, camembert, brie and even goat cheese and blue from Aruba in my house. We know they are originally from Europe but no matter. I also brought Amandel speculaas home a few times. You know how it is, one good thing about Aruba is you can shop as if you are in Europe without going to Europe. I also love the French bread from Kong Hing. The New Food Center in San Nicolas has that everyday.

In Aruba you can also buy specialty food items from all over the Caribbean. Christmas is not too far away. You'll see Ayaca (Hallaca) in the freezer section after Thanksgiving.

JohnT
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutchdushi wrote:
This is a special candy we eat for Sinterklaas (the one we celebrate on 5 December). Love it!

Special candy?
Quite a few years ago (like 2001 or 2002 before I retired), my co-worker whose parents were born in the Netherlands asked me to look for "drop" candy. Whatever I bought at that time was very pleasing...brought back good childhood memories for her.
So this year, I decide I will again try to buy some "drop". Not sure what I got, but it tastes like salty licorice. It is definitely an acquired taste. I like salty things. However, this is a real test. Maybe Americans can imagine rolling some licorice in table salt.
Super Food just seems to have more products made in the Netherlands. I went shopping with my friend who loves to cook. I saw that he put a can of Unox "tomatensoep" (maybe I spelled it wrong), but I would have known that it was not tomato juice. Anyway, we all enjoyed a mug of tomato soup with vermicelli and little meatballs in it. We added extra basil to it, but the taste was good without it.

dutchdushi
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you have different types of drop, ranging from soft and sweet to hard and extra salty. Look for words like zacht en zoet, avoid zout or dubbel zout. That will help you. Loved your remark on buying the tomatensoep. Made me laugh. I understand the Dutch language must be difficult for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: