Aruba Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Aruba Forum
the One Happy Bulletin Board!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have put a question to the Aruba bulletin board, you can choose to be notified via email when a reply has been posted. If you want, you can upload a picture of yourself, or any other (decent!) picture you choose from your own computer. If you want to check other Aruba bulletin board member's opinions about a certain question, you can start your own poll. You can also send another member a personal message (PM).
All you need to do is register. As a registered member you can use the features mentioned above and many others. We hope you have fun and hope to see you often on our Aruba Bulletin Board.

Join us on Facebook

Aruba in September, 2011

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yaofeng
Aruba Lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Aruba in September, 2011 Reply with quote

Aruba has seen very little rain this summer. Last trip my rental car was coated with a thin coat of dust after four weeks, an indication not a drop of rain came down during that period. It was so dry there are not as many mosquitos as previous years. No one was asking for mosquito repellent in either Yemanja or Marandi, two of the restaurants I go with outdoors seating. Either that or they are doing a very good job spraying.

Last Saturday was the first time we've seen a heavy rain shower for a long time. It did while I was finishing my morning run, soaking me completely but it felt very good. Bright sunshine followed that day. Last night it rained even heavier. Started around 9PM. Woke me up several times with the heavy rain drops hitting the roof of my apartment. A stretch of the road in Baby Beach was flooded I had to detour to run along the shore line this morning. The rainy season may be upon us. People welcome it if not for the occasional flooding making some roads impassable.

I went back to Arikok National Park Saturday to check out the whale carcass. The park ranger did not know if the carcass was there or not anymore. But he told me there is a horse carcass between the first and second wind turbine post somewhere towrad the shore. I asked him if it is not a donkey carcass because I've never seen a wild horse in Aruba but plenty many wild donkeys. He confirmed it is a horse.

It tooke me a second go around before I located the whale. The first go around I thought a high tide lifted the carcass and washed it away. There wasn't even a bone to be found. When I found it, the 35 ft whale has been reduced to a hide of no more than 6 ft long. There is a yellow rope around it. I suspect it may have been dragged up shore to be disposed of and have the bones collected. If you stand next to it downwind you can still smell it.

After taking some pictures of what remains of the whale I went searching for the horse carcass. But I could not find it after hiking the area for 45 minutes in the sun. I went back to the gate wanted to talk to the park ranger. He was already gone.

Here are some pictures of what remains of the whale. I did not reduce the size of the picture thay are very big.

I believe this wooden plank was there in April when I first took the pictures of the whale carcass.

~Amy~®

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool photos!

Playa del Carmen, MX - March 2017
34th trip to Aruba - May 2017
Munich, Salzburg, Prague - June/July 2017
35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018
JohnT
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, cool...but they took forever to load.

Rained at about 11:30 PM in the low-rise area...did not seem too long or too heavy as we lapsed into dreamland. There was an impressive light show for a couple hours before the actual rain.

Still it has been much drier than the same period in 2010. Deo gratias!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: