Aruba Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Aruba Forum
the One Happy Bulletin Board!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have put a question to the Aruba bulletin board, you can choose to be notified via email when a reply has been posted. If you want, you can upload a picture of yourself, or any other (decent!) picture you choose from your own computer. If you want to check other Aruba bulletin board member's opinions about a certain question, you can start your own poll. You can also send another member a personal message (PM).
All you need to do is register. As a registered member you can use the features mentioned above and many others. We hope you have fun and hope to see you often on our Aruba Bulletin Board.

Join us on Facebook

"Parrot Sanctuary"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daka630

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: "Parrot Sanctuary" Reply with quote

Photos of parrots are in the album "AUA-Birds"
at http://new.photos.yahoo.com/divi_aruba/

One photo is below (if I've got the "add attachment" correct...)

parrots.jpg
 Description:
parrots
 Filesize:  60.82 KB
 Viewed:  52518 Time(s)

parrots.jpg

parrots.jpg
 Description:
parrots
 Filesize:  60.82 KB
 Viewed:  52518 Time(s)

parrots.jpg

Corrine
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful photos! I loved the little owl!

I also checked out some of your other albums. Regarding the turtles, are they born in the sand? How do they know to go into the ocean?

daka630

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Turtles Reply with quote

Yes, born in the beach on Aruba.
The eggs are deposited in a hole ( > 1 meter if I remember...) and covered with sand. The eggs hatch and the little ones "dig out".
They fixate on the brightest light (sun by day, moon by night) and head towards it (and where the water would be). Problems occur at night when the bright light is from the resort or street lights. Then the baby turtles head the wrong way. Not good.
Those that make it into the water and survive grow into adults.
The females that are born on a particular beach will return to that beach, later in life, to lay their eggs. (The good people who tend to the turtle nests explained all this to those of us clustered around...)
Corrine
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
elisabeth_nj

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also love your pictures. I wish I was there during the the turtle hatching (is that what you call it)...I watched a documentary on that one time and am very very facinated.

One thing I wanna know...which bracelet did you buy??? LOL

Captmorgnsgrl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always go June/July and always see so many turtle nest's with the barriers around them. Well last year while on vacation I was looking out from our patio. I saw a crowd gather in front of the beach of the Manchebo. So I ran over and saw a turtle hatching. I would say it was around 5:30 pm. I ran back to the room and told the rest of my group so we grabbed our cameras and headed back. Well not knowing very much we were watching this lone turtle (or so I thought) moving about. first one leg then another. Just as I was getting ready to snap a picture, the person next to me snapped one. Everyone yelled out " NO FLASH", scared the bejeebies out of me. Apparently the flash will disorient the turtles once they hatch. It doesn't seem to be a problem during the day, but in the evening it is. The Manchebo and the ABC all turned off their lights. You could video tape them with only yellow light. Around dusk, the turtle started to really move...well what I was looking at was not one turtle, but four on the very top. They were coming out of the hole one after another. They have a foundation that looks after the turtles nests. Once they start to hatch, they are called in. They diamantled the red and white barrier and made sort of a landing strip you could say. So this guided the turtles to the ocean. It was just totally amazing. After the turtles has all left the nest I saw one of the volunteers, she counted 67 hatchlings. She said they will put chicken wire up around the nest and come back the next day, uncover the hole and count the all the eggs that did not hatch. I tell you it is something I will never forget. Everyone should get the chance to see this, it was just amazing. I was told that the female turtles will return to that same beach in 20 years if they survive. Then will come back and every 2 to 3 years thereafter. Another thing I was told was that the temperature of the sand can determine the sex of the turtle the warmer sand more females and cooler the sand during incubation will result more males. The whole thing is so fascinating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> Aruba Pictures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: