Aruba Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Aruba Forum
the One Happy Bulletin Board!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have put a question to the Aruba bulletin board, you can choose to be notified via email when a reply has been posted. If you want, you can upload a picture of yourself, or any other (decent!) picture you choose from your own computer. If you want to check other Aruba bulletin board member's opinions about a certain question, you can start your own poll. You can also send another member a personal message (PM).
All you need to do is register. As a registered member you can use the features mentioned above and many others. We hope you have fun and hope to see you often on our Aruba Bulletin Board.

Join us on Facebook

Random thoughts on another wonderful week in Aruba

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Random thoughts on another wonderful week in Aruba Reply with quote

Good afternoon everybody,

We got back from Aruba very late last night, actually more like 12:30 this morning.

Our week's vacation was wonderful but before I get to the random thoughts, this part is for Amy. You sent a lovely note with best wishes for those of us heading for Aruba this past week, but I had already put my laptop to sleep in its hiding place, so I only saw it when I fired this thing back up again this morning. I wasn't ignoring you Amy; you know I wouldn't do that.

Ok, let's let those thoughts start flyin' around.

We're #5, we're #5.

Our Air Canada flight from Toronto was scheduled for a 1:45 arrival into AUA. We started our descent into Reina Beatrix but then leveled off. The Captain told us we were fifth in line for landing. He told us this was typical for Saturday afternoon arrivals into Aruba. It was also an indication of what awaited us on the ground.

Like Amy experienced a few weeks ago; they stopped people at the top of the escalator because the Immigration Hall downstairs couldn't handle anymore people. But, eventually we all got through the process. Just another indication of Aruba's popularity.

I wonder if they've found something.

As with our previous vacation in Aruba, we stayed once again at Sunset Beach Studios.(SBS)It is right across the street from the old rusting wreck off shore. Well, the wreck is still there but there was something else that was more eye-catching. Off shore, but definitely in Aruban waters was a drilling ship. Monday morning, a second drilling ship appeared directly astern of the first. Perhaps they have found something very valuable out there.

Good food, great friends and an unbeatable view.

Two years ago when we were in Aruba, we met a couple of people who we thought were really nice. We said that if we were ever back in Aruba at the same time, it be fun to have lunch together. Well, that's exactly what happened. We met our friends at West Deck last Tuesday and had a wonderful time. We got to know each other, exchanged some funny stories, all the while enjoying great food with a wonderful view.

Yes, hopefully we'll meet there again, sometime soon.

Puttin' the boots to parking wrongdoers.

I have to admit, we were nervous about the new paid parking system downtown, but as things turned out, the system is easy, convenient and not that expensive at all. The good folks at SBS sold us a parking SmartCard for 10 Afl. The machines have instructions in 4 languages and 2.50 Afl got us 2 hours parking.

For those who flaunt the new regime; over-staying their time limit, not paying at all or parking in one of the yellow striped spaces(those are for people working downtown.) the Aruba Parking Authority uses the Denver boot; that large, yellow, immobilizing device. And believe me, it costs a lot more than 2.50 Afl to get it removed!!

On Friday, Donna and I were having lunch at Cuba's Cooking and had a front row seat to watch the Parking Authority in action. Over the noon hour last Friday, we watched them immobilize two vehicles. Using the boot, the two fellows were like kids with a new toy!

Life is back to normal, but I still don't know what came over them two years ago.

Remember two years I ago when I almost went, well, you know, when I saw El Gaucho's sidewalk sign advertising fish specials? Last Wednesday at least, life was as it should be. The sign showed pumpkin soup and Argentinian empanadas. Well, you'd probably feel better too.

I'll be writing up my TR and should submit it to Melvin in a couple of weeks. I want to look over the notes took during my trip.

Anyway, I thought I would share these first few musings with you now.

It may be an old cliché, but tomorrow it is back to the real world. But, for a week, sitting on our porch at SBS, watching the kite boarders in the late afternoon; that was our real world. And we'll hopefully enjoy it again in another two years.

Bye for now everybody.

Glenn
Winnipeg, Canada
~Amy~®

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenn! Sounds like another great trip to Aruba!!! Very Happy

You just reminded me....I MUST finish my trip report today and get it sent off to Melvin for posting. I have been so busy just catching up with everything once we got back (poor excuse but it's the only one I have. LOL!)

Playa del Carmen, MX - March 2017
34th trip to Aruba - May 2017
Munich, Salzburg, Prague - June/July 2017
35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018
carolrd
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenn. We enjoyed seeing you and Donna as well. Will have to make another date in 2 years.

We are still enjoying our stay and making new friends and seeing old friends. "Talk" to you all soon.

Carol Cool
Glenn
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carol,

We had a super week, which ended much too quickly, and we really enjoyed meeting you both. Absolutely, two years sounds about right.

Enjoy the rest of your stay Carol.

Glenn
xcptnl
Aruba Lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a wonderful week! We are under 30 days here! I am wondering about the parking-do the meters only take change? And if yes, it is Aruban currency? Just trying to make sure we are prepared as we typically go downtown a couple of times and this year being there for 2 weeks it will probably be more. Smile. Thanks so much!!

Glenn
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning xcptnl, and everyone else,

Thanks for your comments. We had a terrific time. My trip report has been submitted to Melvin, and hopefully it will be posted soon.

On the matter of parking downtown, the parking meters take Afl coins (I think it is 1 or 2 Afl coins) which most of us get in change at Super Foods or Lings.

A better idea is the Aruba Parking SmartCard. We purchased ours at Sunset Beach Studios where we were staying. It cost 15 Afl (about $8.00US), 5 for the card and 10 Afl worth of parking time. They can probably be purchased at most resorts, maybe at places like Lings and Super Foods and at any of the Aruba Parking Authority offices.

The cards can be refilled.

Here are a couple of things you may find helpful.

1. Park in white-lined and white-numbered spots. The yellow spots are for residents who work downtown.

2. Remember your parking spot number. Easy to forget in the walk from your vehicle to the parking machine.

3. Hit the green button with the check mark to start, select the language (For English hit 1).

4. When it asks you to continue, hit the green button again and follow the prompts.

If you are going to be longer, go back to the machine and either put more money in or swipe your card for another hour or whatever time you think you may need.

You sound like Donna and I; we enjoy downtown Oranjestad too. Best thing is to consult Aruba Parking Authority website, get a SmartCard, and enjoy downtown.

If you need anything more on this, please let me know.

Glenn
Winnipeg, Canada
ArubaLisa
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had a wonderful trip! Very Happy
Allwood

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a FYI, the ships you see anchored are not there to drill. They are waiting for their next job and pay Aruba to sit there until it comes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: