Aruba Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Aruba Forum
the One Happy Bulletin Board!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have put a question to the Aruba bulletin board, you can choose to be notified via email when a reply has been posted. If you want, you can upload a picture of yourself, or any other (decent!) picture you choose from your own computer. If you want to check other Aruba bulletin board member's opinions about a certain question, you can start your own poll. You can also send another member a personal message (PM).
All you need to do is register. As a registered member you can use the features mentioned above and many others. We hope you have fun and hope to see you often on our Aruba Bulletin Board.

Join us on Facebook

Avoiding Roaming Charges while in Aruba

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rla

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Avoiding Roaming Charges while in Aruba Reply with quote

I need a non-geek answer to this question so that I can avoid roaming charges while in Aruba. I can be technologically challenged with what might seem to others to be simple tasks! Rolling Eyes LOL

I will be taking some photos while in Aruba with my cell phone. That way I can post some of the photos while I am still in Aruba rather than waiting to come home to transfer my photos from camera to computer.

I know how to connect to free WIFI when needed, but I have never done it in a foreign country so I never had to worry about international roaming charges.

What are the steps? Do I keep my phone on Airport mode, and then connect to WIFI? Or do I have to also do something else?

Lastly, if I am connected to WIFI will I be able to check my email and/or do texting?

I just need to make sure I understand the steps so that I not only do it correctly, but so I can explain to my husband how to do it also! I picture coming home from Aruba to a huge bill for roaming charges because one or both of us screw it up!!!!! Rolling Eyes

Mindy, if you are reading this, I know you tried to explain this to me before, but I can't find where I saved it and worry that it may be on the other BB, which I won't access on principle. Thanks.

artdorko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin, keep the phone in airplane mode. You will not be able to use it for regular calls or regular texts like you do at home. You can check email on wifi while in airplane mode.

What kind of phone & which company are you with?

I always turn off my data, just in case. Verizon is very sly & if you don't specifically turn off data & data roaming, you may be charged. If I know the phone & operating system you are using, I can walk you thru it. Do this in the airport in Atlanta, just before you board.

You can make calls & texts while on wifi, but you will need to use an app like Skype or Majic Jack or Viber. Skype is not free to call landlines or text, but it is very cheap. Put $10 on your account, that's the minimum, and you will probably not even use it all. Viber is free, but the other person you call or text must also have Viber. I am not familiar with Majic Jack, but I know several people who swear by it.

rla

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindy, I have a Droid Razor Maxx and Rick has the Droid Razor. We have Verizon. When you say data, do you mean Mobile Data. Do I just move that to the off position?
artdorko

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Robin. I have basically the same phone. Mine is Motorola Droid 4, which is the Razr with a sliding keyboard.

Touch the 3 lines on the bottom left of the home screen (it is supposed to look like a file cabinet & when you touch it, you are opening a "drawer").
system settings>more>data networks>data enabled.
Uncheck this setting before you get on the plane to Aruba. No reason to take a chance with their expensive data plan. You can still use wifi for all your apps.

Airplane mode will take care of disabling voice & text over Verizon's network. You will still be able to use Skype, etc, via Wifi.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: