Aruba Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Aruba Forum
the One Happy Bulletin Board!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have put a question to the Aruba bulletin board, you can choose to be notified via email when a reply has been posted. If you want, you can upload a picture of yourself, or any other (decent!) picture you choose from your own computer. If you want to check other Aruba bulletin board member's opinions about a certain question, you can start your own poll. You can also send another member a personal message (PM).
All you need to do is register. As a registered member you can use the features mentioned above and many others. We hope you have fun and hope to see you often on our Aruba Bulletin Board.

Join us on Facebook

Public bus to & from airport

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carolll

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Public bus to & from airport Reply with quote

has anyone used the public bus for travel to hotel from airport. We are only planning on taking a carry on bag each and was wondering how convenient the bus stop at the airport is?
Lenny
Aruba Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What hotel are you staying at? The cab fares are set by the government are reasonable. I can't speak to the bus service.
johntheott
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arubabus does not enter the airport. You can walk from the terminal via the access road to the main road and catch the bus there! Be warned, it's slightly over a mile and then there's the wait for the bus!

It can be done but not advisable in the heat. I wouldn't do it! If you are paying that much to visit Aruba, why not go in style!!

Taxi rates can be found at the top of this page under 'Transportation'.

"A Free Spirit On An Endless Flight"

CHARLES-BROUNS Jr.
fios

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Bus Reply with quote

When I,m on vacation I want to start ASAP going by bus is,nt is not ASAP
JohnT
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot go directly from the airport to the hotel district without changing (transferring to another bus) at the bus plaza in the downtown. This is after getting from the airport terminal out to the road way where a bus stop is located. While I don't think it is a mile, I believe it is more than 1/4 mile out to the main roadway area.

I believe that local Aruban employees at the airport must also walk a way to and from the nearest bus stop...if they depend on Arubus.

johntheott
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you do have to change at the main terminal downtown!

CHARLES-BROUNS Jr.
ScubaBOS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnT wrote:
To the best of my knowledge, you cannot go directly from the airport to the hotel district without changing (transferring to another bus) at the bus plaza in the downtown. This is after getting from the airport terminal out to the road way where a bus stop is located. While I don't think it is a mile, I believe it is more than 1/4 mile out to the main roadway area.

I believe that local Aruban employees at the airport must also walk a way to and from the nearest bus stop...if they depend on Arubus.

Following the sidewalk from the terminal out to the new rotary is about 1/4 of a mile. From there I'm not sure how close the nearest stop is, but it's not far. Either way, I wouldn't recommend it.

I'm sure that until you try it, it may seem faster, it wouldn't be.

JohnT
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By my opinion and experience, many European airports provide public transport from airport to central city. Schipol in Amsterdam would be one.

I guess Aruba has not followed the Netherlands model.

~Amy~®

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnT wrote:
By my opinion and experience, many European airports provide public transport from airport to central city. Schipol in Amsterdam would be one.

I guess Aruba has not followed the Netherlands model.

Some U.S. cities do as well. BART in San Francisco is great and here in Minneapolis we have the light rail from the airport to downtown.

Playa del Carmen, MX - March 2017
34th trip to Aruba - May 2017
Munich, Salzburg, Prague - June/July 2017
35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018
johntheott
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're fortunate in Boston since Logan is located within the city borders, across the harbor from downtown, a short cab ride through the tunnel. Too many public and/or private options to list. A cab from my front door to the check in counter, depending on traffic, takes about twenty minutes for $35 plus tip! Hard to beat!

CHARLES-BROUNS Jr.
JohnT
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are about 75 miles from Orlando...our usual point of departure.
While there is an airport in Daytona, 5 miles away...prices escalate dramatically. Limited services, high prices. I will not fly north to Atlanta or Charlotte to fly to Aruba, when I can go non-stop from Orlando on AirTran.
We can get to Orlando for $45 round trip with a local shuttle service.

OK, with regard to Aruba, I guess the taxi union is fairly strong. And I suppose that DePalm has the de facto 'contract' to deliver tourists to their resorts.

In summary, it would be hard to use public transport (Arubus) to get to the hotel zone.

~Amy~®

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our airport (Minneapolis) is also close to the city. A taxi from our house to the airport takes about 10-12 minutes and costs $20 so we always take a taxi over the light rail.

Even with good public transportation at most airports, we usually prefer a taxi since it's just usually faster and easier as long as the extra cost is not too much. For our trip to Venice next month we have splurged on a private water taxi right from the airport instead of the overcrowded public ones which are more of a pain to get in/out when you have luggage.

Our first two trips to Aruba in 1996 and 1997 we used the DePalm shuttle bus since it was included in our hotel/air package. After that, we started using taxis because it was easier and faster and now we rent a car for our entire stay so we just always pick up the car when we arrive.

JohnT
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy your trip to Venice!
I'm sure you and Mike will do it up in style.
I (we) were there in 1970 and 1999.
(OK, I am revealing my age!)
The Middle Age places/palaces/churches are historic and beautiful.
If you dare, take the 'vaporetto'. Good way to get around. Or walk the narrow passages from the railroad station to St. Mark's Square.

On Aruba, while we have not attended the BB parties in a while, we actually hope to do it this year...new group of relative first-timers and second-timers.

Regarding November, our one trip told us that the water was colder and the weather was possibly more variable. We had a good time and good weather, but friends told us they had a rain-out for days.

(The next year, we had a very rainy September week. Who knows?)

~Amy~®

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Venice once but only for 2 days (spent 3 1/2 weeks in Italy on that trip) - 2 days in a city doesn't count in my book so looking forward to being back and getting off the beaten path away from the tourists. Wink . We rented an apartment like we do in Paris which has a terrace and a canal view. We will do a couple of dinners "in" on the terrace since Mike loves to cook and buy food at the outdoor markets. We already have our vaporetto passes and plan on using them for visits to the islands of Lido, Murano, and Burano.

We've been to Aruba a couple of times in Nov. Over all the months we've visited Aruba, Aug.-Nov. has the warmest water. Late Dec./early Jan. and April had water temps that were a little cooler.

I think we have veered off topic here....sorry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: