Aruba Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Aruba Forum
the One Happy Bulletin Board!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If you have put a question to the Aruba bulletin board, you can choose to be notified via email when a reply has been posted. If you want, you can upload a picture of yourself, or any other (decent!) picture you choose from your own computer. If you want to check other Aruba bulletin board member's opinions about a certain question, you can start your own poll. You can also send another member a personal message (PM).
All you need to do is register. As a registered member you can use the features mentioned above and many others. We hope you have fun and hope to see you often on our Aruba Bulletin Board.

Join us on Facebook

Can I buy oatmeal in Aruba?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cocoa3c

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Can I buy oatmeal in Aruba? Reply with quote

Hi BB,

I usually make oatmeal, not the instant kind, for hubby every morning. Can I get that in Aruba or should I bring my own?

And while I'm asking, can I buy most fruits there? We usually have frozen blueberries, but that may be a longshot...lol. We eat a lot of tropical fruits: fresh pineapple, papaya etc. I remember the hotels had those, but can I get them in the grocery store? Thank you!

carolrd
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the oatmeal, but having said that, there is nothing that I haven't been able to find in the grocery stores. You will be able to find most fruits there, including pineapple, and blueberries.

Carol Cool
cocoa3c

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Carol!
dutchdushi
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure they have oatmeal. It could be they only sell a Dutch brand. In that case look for havermout. That's oatmeal in Dutch.
cocoa3c

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much DD!
JohnT
Aruba Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally do not like instant or quick oatmeal. I prefer the "old-fashioned" variety (something like Quaker old-fashioned or Bob's Red Mill original).

Since 1 cup of oatmeal serves 2 or 3 people, we often throw some into the suitcases. We stay for 3 weeks.

BTW, I usually boil the water on stove or microwave BEFORE putting in any other ingredients. We add 1 peeled and chopped apple, 1/4 cup raisins, 1/4 cup chopped dates. Cook in deep-sided dish for about 5 minutes at power level 6 or 7 (medium high). After that, stir and cook for 1 minutes on HIGH power. Let stand for 2 minutes or so. By boiling the water beforehand, I think it yields a LESS mushy outcome. My wife will not eat slimy oatmeal...and I don't blame her.

You really won't need brown sugar on this variation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Aruba Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: